torstai 22. tammikuuta 2015

Free music and new music

No matter where I go, I keep seeing hipstery remarks about how music today is shit and there's nothing good and everything was better way back. I think it was a comment on a Lee Hazlewood song that really got me all worked up.

"so much good music made before my time. I was born in the wrong era."

Of course everyone feels like this at times. But still, I am really, really glad I am not stuck in the any past era. Of course it would be way easier to score a record deal and get a 13 thousand dollar budget to record and release all my eccentric shit, but I can't even imagine how lonely I would be without the internet. It has made it POSSIBLE for us to make music pretty much for free, to give it away, to share it with like-minded people, who hopefully appreciate what we do. I know free music has two sides. Free music is free music. In some sense, it has no value. You just listen to it, through and through, and then you move on to some more free music. There's maybe one of every ten to 20 records, that actually stick with you. The ratio is totally different with albums you actually pay for. You pay more attention to the music you paid for. I still buy new music, not only just records made twenty or thirty years ago, now cashed out in endless reprints and anniversary special editions, but more about that later on... I'm glad that we have the possibility to spread our music as far and wide as possible, because to us, it's pretty much all about playing shows. It's about living in the present, and albums are always something that's dead in time, no matter how new it is. When we give away our music, we reach out for people, that might come and see us live, and experience the presence in it's full extent. This would not have been possible in any past era, because recording in itself would have been so expensive we could have never afforded that, not to mention the pressing and spreading the word, without the internet.

This also goes for finding music. Through the internet I have found many bands I couldn't have found any other way, because it is mostly music no one I know listens to. Internet has brought us the Random Factor, which is one of the main reasons I like it so much. The problem is, we are standing on the verge of losing that random factor. Every site collects data about your surfing and starts recommending you shit, profiles you and offers you "similar artists". To me, this is a bit disturbing. I don't need millions of Tom Waitses or Slayers. I want to find something completely different, something exciting and inspiring, something new. And in here, the filter bubbles kick in. We are filtered out of reach of the natural randomness, when we are recommended "things we might like". On our upcoming album there's a song called Ocean of Shit. More commercials, more filtering, more gray, meaningless shit. Of course it's not that bad yet, but we're moving towards it. And Google buying every single website you use isn't helping, since they flood everything with commercial content. That's their job.

About new music. I really like new music. Whether it might be grindcore, or blues, or whatever, I think this is one of the best eras in the history of music. I resent the 80's cocaine sound, probably because we grew up in the 90's, saw the recession, depression, suicides at an early age, so it was hard not to grow somehow conscious of your own context. I don't know about other guys, but I grew up seeing how "the good times" was just another lie, another mirage that actually didn't exist. It's on someone else's expense, or it's just escaping the day you have to pay the dues. And then they hit you hard.. I like psychedelic, fuzzy, distorted and resonating things (the 60's had the right idea, just play straight from your heart and if you got it in there, it's enough). That's probably why I am so excited about everything that happens in the underground these days, at least in Finland there's loads of great bands that tickle my nerves the right way. My definition of a great album is based solely on the fact if I still listen to it or not. By these standards, the greatest grindcore album ever made in my shitty opinion is Magrudergrind's self-titled (2009), a rather new one. The next best might be Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer. I know grindcore scene has the section of people who are stuck with Scum and FETO, and think everything else is for the retards (though I think Napalm Death has made loads of good albums in recent years, and I think the new one will kick ass too!), but I don't really give two shits about that. I think grindcore has always been about moving forward, not getting stuck with the past, and Napalm Death alone is enough to confirm this assumption. It would be way easier just to travel the world and play the classics, like way too many bands do... And that's the reason I at least started playing it. To be fast, and not to get stuck with the past. Grindcore let's you do any-fucking-thing your silly little mind happens to come up with, and that's why I love it. It's free from all restraints, free from all form. I think it should not be easy listening. That's why our stuff is experimenting and tripping out, trying to reach out for something twisted inside of us all. It should be something that you need to really focus on, to crack the code somehow. It's not for everyone, because it demands a certain degree of dedication. And that's what I have dedicated my life for.

By the way, I just bought Topon's (and pretty much Fuck The Facts') sideproject's album, give it a listen, it's pure fucking redemption from beginning to the end!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti