tiistai 17. toukokuuta 2011

Religion is murder.

Every single metal band's interview I happen to read bores the crap out of me. I start reading with quite high expectations, I admit, I always hope that this time there's going to be some brainiac, who'll blow my mind away and serve my own ass to me on a silver plate, I read them with expectations of getting my mind utterly and thoroughly defeated. To find some musicians on the extreme metal scene, who'd give me something to chew for a while. But they seem to have this only one great ideal, on which the lyrics and the band with it's whole concept leans on: Religion. Especially Christianity, but nowadays more and more Islam too.

If you're in war with an institution, that is thousands of years older than your thought patterns can ever be (unless you are just repeating some age-old phrases you picked up from some black metal records in your early teen years) you really need to think about your own points. You need to question yourself, or you end up doing nothing but safe buzz, harmless background white noise, that seems provocative to 11-year-olds and those not familiar with aesthetics of extreme music. The one point these bands seem to make is that religion (let it be Christianity or Islam, practically they don't even care as long as someone's provoked) makes people go nuts and oppresses them. Some even state that they are the main cause of wars (of course they are, right after colonialism, political interests and natural resources) and then play their song "KILL ALL CHRISTIANS WITH SATANIC HAMMERS".

I know some bands do not take their band that seriously, or it is merely a matter of self-expression. But what I do is just a form of self-expression too. I have no interests of getting rich and famous, I'd spent all the money and move to some distant forest anyway. I want to challenge myself, to create and to question the reasons I do what I do. Find new ways of expressing myself, to achieve greater awareness, to get to the root of religion, If I handle it in my lyrics. If I write lyrics about religion, I either try to understand their dogmas in the context they have been created, or comment on their effects on our life, (for example Karman Laki was written after the UN gave religious imagery and icons human rights, so you can't really call Jesus a dick, or write songs about him. This was of course a decision lead by the fear of possible terrorism after all the buzz in Denmark.)

It is true, that Christianity held the whole (then known) world back for a thousand year period, forcing philosopheres to build artificial Christian meanings around their theories, forcing everything to fit the Christian values. This completely sucked dry all attempts of science, but after the Medieval times it has blown out of all proportion. And I think there's some new Dark Age coming, for people are so overwhelmed with knowledge and technology, they start to feel uneasey. We are deep down spiritual beings, and we are solving all our eternal questions faster than we could have ever imagined thousand years ago. And that makes us feel insecure. Afraid of finding out more. And it will unconsciously drive us back to the arms of religion. Fundamental belief in science is religion too. I think it can be even more dangerous, than some crazy old lady in a flower dress preaching you about love and miracles. Because science is a self-correcting system, which most of people do not understand. What we consider a fact today can be proved wrong tomorrow. And money is the whip on sciences back. You need to get funding to study something, and if your studies don't please the corporation/person funding the studies, you'll study these things as long as you get some "accurate" results. Believing blindly in something this unreliable and unstable is just as stupid as believing in some entity that has created a world and a human being as it's own image but is still nothing like men becouse he's perfection and you are not and why the fuck would I be the image of such God that is nothing like me?!

Of course fundamental anything is fucking scary and sick. Especially when we're talking semantics. And there's the linguistic interest I have towards our main religion. These are WORDS that are being translated to your language from Aramea, Hebrew and Greece, and presumably lose their meanings or get falsely translated in the process of bringing you the word of god. For example I have heard that the original bible is full of sexual content, but it just did not get translated on the editions we are reading today. Most of them were still made during the Middle Ages, and that may be the main reason all the sex was suppressed and the violence flourished. If the translations from the first-hand source were made to the stiff, god fearing people of the 400th century, MAYBE we should dig up the original version and try to make a new translation, so even the dumbest of people would understand that Jesus might have used metaphors, instead of claiming we must eat rocks.

The main problem with me in religion is the power it has over the people who believe, but still I can't help feeling sympathy for these people. Because I know that it all spurs from the same fountain I get my "creativity", the fear of dying. The fear of letting go of the life we have created here on earth. And if these people find their peace in religion, I think they have the right to believe in their god. And no one else should not interfere with their own gods. But to think of religion as a weapon of control, you can't get an abortion if you get raped, and all the other shit it involves, just gets to me sometimes. I've said this before, but the fact that Christianity even exists is a proof that no one really listened to what Jesus had to say. Sometimes when these crazy old ladies in their flowery dresses come to me and talk about Jesus, I can't help thinking that I probably understood more of his words than this preacher will ever do, but saying this, coming from the mouth of an atheist, couldn't of course be justified.

I've come quite a long way from where I started. My point in all this was that you should not critisize religions just for the fun of provoking people or critisizing religions, but you should really think about where do you stand, and why are you standing there. What is the point of your songs and how do you express it..The easiest route is never the most satisfying. Thanks for reading, if you really did.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti