maanantai 4. huhtikuuta 2011

"in it 4 life!"

I just finished watching a crappy documantary about violent straightedge groups united under the common name of FSU. I know I may be three or four years late with a post like this, but still, it made me think of youth, anger, frustration and group mentality overall in a bigger picture. Since the beginning of our utopias of big societies and better worlds, there's always been a group of people that is not included in any of those fantasies: The Young and Angry males. In ancient Rome most of their undisputed will and energy was put in use in form of fighting wars against other angry youngsters, but since that, they've always been unwanted and left out, because they are too unpredictable.

Because of feeling righteously out of place, these people have always been fond of forming their own families and unions, when their bonds to their real families and grip on the system loosen too much. Their groups offer an alternative for bureaucracy, needless bullshit people have to go through in their everyday lives, and the power to actually change things. They offer the power of being MAN, young and angry male. "You don't want to deal with us, we'll make sure you'll hear from us." And This is the main reason we've ever had neo-nazi groups, motorcycleclubs, organized crime and the sorts of SFU. Where SFU differs, though, is the fact that it was based on making the streets safer, fighting such groups and drugs and crime with violence.

Personally I understand this sort of anarchy, and it feels justified to the point they actually managed to clean the streets and make their environment a better place. But that documentary shows how it all went beyond that. They should have stopped there, given themselves 'at a boy! and just smiled the rest of their fucking days. But instead they just slowly replaced the groups and drugdealers they defeated, formed too tight union to give it any space to breathe or adapt. In the end they we're no better than any neo-nazi group, and it was not justified by the single fact they did not use drugs. I don't do drugs, and I still don't feel myself a better person than some of my friends that do. It's all just different set of life choices, and that's that. Some people find peace in drugs, some people find it other way, but no one finds peace in destruction. It is just the seek for short-term satisfaction, and then looking for the next fix of the same adrenaline. Sounds a lot like drug abuse to me.

As much as I think I'd rather have these guys around me than neo-nazi groups we have here, I can't help thinking would I be any more safe around them? I mean, I share most of their views, even the violent behavior to some extent, but what if someday on a show some of them would get the picture I deserved to be beaten up becouse I look like a hippie. Because in this documentary, they admitted beating up people just for their looks. I know you can be skinhead without any nazi stuff attached to it. To me this sort of behaviour seems, wait for it, IGNORANT.

Gangs overall, whether they consider themselves gangs or not, are a solid proof of being lost, becouse they offer fast and sharp answers to family issues. Usually people grow out of them, but some of course dedicate their lives to such activity. I think you won't find what you seek, but who am I to say? Maybe they really are at peace with themselves, maybe even more than I am. If so, keep fucking shit up, but never stop questioning your own motives, and thinking if this is the reason you joined the gang in the first place. If the group like FSU fills it's goal and the streets are safe, stop making them dangerous and rejoice for the peace you have achieved.

For example in the fictional series Sons of Anarchy gang life is represented as mentally and spiritually deep and full of conflicts. The club keeps the town of Charity safe from other harm and wants only peace and loving and understanding for it's people. And to me it raises a question if that picture is really polished and over-romanticized with a broad brush, and the clubs are full of drooling killing machines with peanut brains and too many guns. I sure hope not, becouse all sorts of illegal gangs and alliences have quite a grip on societies everywhere, beneath the layors of police claiming they have situations under control. Usually they don't.

Usually they don't control things at all. Their authority is restricted by limitations of law, and they fight against something that does not play by their rules. We can't weed this sort of activity out, not as long as we don't want to accept these rebellious youths as part of our societies. I admit I could easily join something like Fight Club, becouse I am being pushed out everytime I reach my hand towards the system. This has happened many times, and I'm just lucky that I am able to produce text and intellectualize the shit out of these rejections and denials. Still at times, I find myself thinking of revolution of any sort. I know what I'm talking about, becouse I feel somehow sympathy for these neglected, invisible men, I know I could be just like them. I just keep myself busy and reading something to fill my mind with enough questions, so that I would not slip into "any answer to any question will do"-state of mind. Let's hope it stays that way.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti