maanantai 14. helmikuuta 2011

About...Something.. about... music. I think

(There was a link, but it's not active anymore, and this is almost a year old post anyway..)

So, practically go to the link, if you have a facebook profile (which I personally resent from the bottom of my tiny, pitch-black heart) go and vote for us.

NOW, partly because of this, and partly because I'm bored, I want to write a couple of words about this kind of competitions, and the upcoming trend of letting the audience choose the winner. So if you have not liked my preaching-mode this far, shut your eyes and press your way to the previous page.

It seems to be a new, cool way to solve every problem, and choose the winner of every competition out there by letting people vote for their favorite, instead of letting a small group of judges decide. Although this is much more democratic in a way, it is not necessarily only a good thing. I explain later why.

By my experience, the three band competitions I have participated (only because they are good opportunities to play a gig for a starting band) have been judged by a small group of judges. Usually just three or four guys, instead of letting the fans shout for the winner act. The benefits of this type of decision making is that the judges usually are there for a reason. They are people who understand something about music, and they make notes and give you some feedback, which at least for me has been crucial. They usually have had some critique to give and those small golden pieces of advice, for they have worked with music for a much longer time, and have a huge amount of useful know-how the know-it-all sixteen-year-olds kinda lack. So having a small specialized group of judges is efficient and useful for the bands too.

Now, mainly because of the popularity of Idols and such, I've seen thousands of interactive competitions rise in a short period of time. Yes, it is pretty cool to let the audience decide what they want to see and hear, this is a huge benefit, if the audience consists of really big amount of people. But here in Finland it tends to be the other way. The circles here are small, and practically the winning band will be the one with most friends. It will usually be from Helsinki, or at least near, who wins the competition. They have a thousand friends on myspace and they are extrovert and a bit cocky, they promote their bands everywhere in the internet and have a completely different attitude than for example we do.

This is the second competition we've put our names on, and it wouldn't be if it would not have a gig to offer. You see, we happen to like gigs. We want to crush our bones and be on a wheelchair well before our thirties. We, or at least I, and I think I speak for the rest of the band, don't give a motherfucking-dick-ass-pussy-face-shit about record deals or such, they are all the fucking same, and completely meaningless. Our aim is to play gigs and make music worth four-and-a-half-stars, enjoy the ride and play some punk for the people who (like it or not) are unlucky enough to be around us.

All of this may sound like an envious, bitter little man talking, but it isn't. Believe it or not, I don't give a crap about this competition, we just take every chance for a gig we get, and this happens to be one. This system just made me think, and I happen to like thinking. Now I just happened to pour the shit on your face.

Peace out

Jere K/Cut To Fit

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti